Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July!!!

I have a special place in my heart for two holidays in particular - the Fourth of July and Thanksgiving.  I think one of the reasons I treasure these two days in particular, is the fact that I have lived out of the country and had to celebrate the holidays with fellow patriots in less than traditional ways.  Days I remember most are the ones that were out of the box.  My Thanksgiving in Germany was interesting.  My brother was also living there at the time and was able to buy us a much coveted Turkey.  We were so excited.  The one problem - it didn't fit into the petite oven we had.  One of my favorite Thanksgivings in Mexico was spent at another ex patriots home.  It was a grand party with many Americans and others from around the world (I especially recall a British chap who had fought in World War I!!).  Anyway, when I got home I called my parents to wish them a happy Thanksgiving.  My mother was perplexed.  "Thanks" she said and proceeded to tell me that it was the follow Thursday.  We had celebrated a week early and no one even realized the error.  Fourth of July was usually a big fair but never on the Fourth - always in June! So to all Americans celebrating the holiday outside the country - a big Happy Holiday to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment